Monday, December 2, 2013

Katniss Cowl/Vest

When I went to see Catching Fire last week, I was struck by how many knits there were in the movie.  I had heard and seen the famous Katniss cowl/vest and was even determined to make one...

The pictures are still shots from the movie.
I found several patterns, and was going to make the Lollyknits one, but then decided I didn't really want the rolled collar, as I felt it might be heavy on the shoulders....plus hers was knit and I knew I could crochet one....so I used the above picture and created my own cowl.  I did use her suggestion of yarn though and made it with Lion Brand Thick and Quick.

Obviously mine is much bigger than the one in the movie, as I'm quite larger than Jennifer Lawrence, but I think it turned out pretty good....it is very warm!

The other knit that I fell in love with during the movie was a cowl/scarf.  It looks to be knitted and woven...I think it is beautiful...
On the train with Peeta, she is wearing another cowl...it was hard to find a decent screen shot of it..
It reminds me of the Wellscroft cowl from Harrisville.  I own the pattern and yarn to make this, so I might be making it soon.

Another of Katniss's knits that I loved was this sweater..
I LOVE this!!!!

She also wore this..
Finnick wore a gorgeous fisherman sweater
And even her mom and sister wore some knits...
I know the book mentions yarn and knitting..and in the first movie, she buys yarn at the Hob (possibly in the second one too, but I've only seen it once),  So you know that there were crafted items in District 12.

It seems lots of these post-apocalyptic books/movies include knitting/crochet.  I know it is mentioned in Wool...and also in The City of Ember....it's nice to know that the craft will never truly die...even if it does fade from time to time...






8 comments:

Sarah - Crafts from the Cwtch said...

It turned out GREAT!!!!! I love it. Can't wait to see the next one :)

Paula said...

I saw that picture (first one) in Entertainment Weekly and wondered if that was the cowl-thingy you'd been talking about. Yours came out great!

WonderWhyGal said...

Wowza! You went right to town knitting that cowl. I love it. Your version looks great.

I want to weave the dark cowl. I haven't figured out how (I expect it's way beyond my weaving abilities) but I will figure it out.

Unknown said...

You made your own crochet version?! That is soo cool! It looks amazing on you, and I imagine it being so comfy and warm!! I love how you showed so many pictures of knits being used in movies, thanks for the inspiration!

Spinster Beth said...

Wow, I had no idea. I haven't seen the movies nor read the books ... I didn't know there was so much knitting! But it makes sense, knitting and crocheting are survival skills! Now I see that I MUST have a large stash, just in case!

I like your cowl vest better ... it looks warmer.

Alicia said...

Yours came out great! I agree, I love when futuristic books/movies mention knitting. Wool was a great series.

Anonymous said...

The cowl looks fantastic and I think it's awesome that you're so creative to just whip it up without a pattern and based on a photo!

Alyssa said...

I love, love, love, Wool... it's one of my all time favorite books :)